Northport Real Estate
Northport is a historic maritime village in the Town of Huntington on Long Island, New York. Initially designated as Great Cow Harbour by 17th-century English colonists, the area was officially renamed Northport in 1837. In 1898, in order to localize governance Northport was incorporated as a village.
Northport is known for its Victorian era village center, still bearing trolley rails from a long since discontinued streetcar which would transport village residents to the Long Island Rail Road station in East Northport. The village Main Street runs from the Village Green along the harbor-front to the former hamlet of Vernon Valley, which has since been subsumed by the neighboring community of East Northport. As of 2010, the village has a population of around 7,401 and is served by the Northport-East Northport School District.
A prominent feature of Northport is Steer’s Pit (known simply as “The Pit” to locals), a large land depression carved into the cliffs adjacent to Northport Harbor and just south of the enormous LIPA smokestacks. This unusual geographic feature is the result of sand mining operations by the Steers and Steers Company. Mining began in 1923 and ceased in the 1950s.The mined sand was shipped by barge to New York City where, mixed with Portland cement and rock aggregate, it became the sidewalks of New York. The area has since been utilized for home and condo use, and a portion of the Pit is a park used by local youth soccer and baseball leagues. The Northport Fire Department maintains a training facility in the Pit that is the site of the annual firemen fair in the summer.
Photo Credits: wikipedia
Points of Interest: